Accessibility

Font Size

Login | Register
Sign in with Facebook
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I’m divorced. Do I have to wait for my ex to file?

I’m divorced. Do I have to wait for my ex to file? 12 Mar 2012 17:41 #305

• siteadmin
  • ( Admin )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I’m divorced. Do I have to wait for my ex to file for Social Security in order to file for benefits based on his record?

You (and every other “ex” your husband might have) are eligible to receive up to 50% of the benefit he has earned. However, you must meet all of the following conditions:

-Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;
-You are currently unmarried;
-You are age 62 or older;
-Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits;
T-he Social Security benefit you are entitled to based on your own work history is less than the amount you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s record.

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but is eligible for them, you can still qualify for benefits based on his earnings provided you have been divorced for at least two years. Keep in mind that whether you apply for Social Security benefits as a current, divorced, or widowed spouse, if you have not reached your full retirement age when you file, you will receive a reduced amount.

Click here for more information about divorced spouse benefits: www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/yourdivspouse.htm

Read more: www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/201...abled/#ixzz1owuoa99K
NAIDW Site-Admin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.74 seconds

Our Newsletter

Contact | How Can We HELP?

NAIDW Int'l:

PO Box 66, Fox Lake, IL 60020

Telephone:

888.788.NAIDW 

Fax:

Email: